It's a new accident where the e-cigarette is involved that has just been reported by many media. A firefighter 38 years was burned in the leg and hand following the degassing and the explosion of an e-cigarette battery. He was rushed to the army training hospital Percy, located in Clamart (Hauts-de-Seine). Fortunately, his vital prognosis is not committed.
He was assisting a person in distress. And found himself badly burned. In question, the electronic cigarette that was in the pocket of this sergeant 38 years, working in the rescue center Draveil - Vigneux-sur-Seine. The drama occurred on Tuesday, to 19h30 on a city in his area. Seriously touched, he was rushed to the army training hospital Percy, located in Clamart (Hauts-de-Seine).
« Life threatening is not engaged ", We reassure in the departmental fire and rescue service (Sdis) of Essonne, for which he has been working since September 2004. " He was burned in the hand and leg and will have to undergo a skin transplant, adds the Sdis. This is an accident that occurred in service but has nothing to do with the intervention he was performing. We will still conduct an investigation to find out what happened. »
According to initial findings, the explosion would be due to the removable battery of the cigarette. " This is the case for 99% explosions, indicate Jean Moiroud, president since 4 years of the inter-professional Federation of the vape (Fivape). In models where it is directly integrated in the device - the best-selling - the integrated circuit avoids any short circuit. Which is not the case with removable. People who use it do not want to get drummed up, and often have one or more refills on them. But during an electrical problem, they can release a strong energy. That's why you always have to carry them in cases and avoid any contact with keys or coins »
An accident which, if it remains very rare, is not new. " A few years ago, a person lost several fingers. Another person had a burned leg and had to have a skin graft "Recalls, from memory, the president.
To prevent such a tragedy from happening again, the management of Sdis 91 intends to sensitize firefighters to such a risk. " We will ask them to be very careful with their equipment.
As for 99% of battery explosions, it is not the e-cigarette that is responsible but the usermoreover, in this case, as in all those we have seen recently, it is clearly a negligence in the handling of the batteries that can be considered as the cause of the explosion.
The e-cigarette clearly has no place on the bench accused in this case, we will never repeat it enough, with the accusers certain safety rules must be respected for safe use :
- Do not use a mechanical mod if you do not have the necessary knowledge. These are not used with any battery.
- Never put one or more batteries in your pockets (presence of keys, parts that can short circuit)
- Always store or transport your batteries in boxes keeping them separate from each other
If you have a doubt, or if you are not familiar with it, consider inquiring before buying, using or storing batteries. here is a complete tutorial dedicated to Li-Ion batteries which will help you to see more clearly.