It was necessary to be patient to finally have the last word of history! If the general alert launched a few months ago on vaping will have done considerable damage, the product guilty of mysterious pulmonary diseases now bears a name: Vitamin E acetate.
US health authorities said on Friday that they have most likely uncovered the mystery of lung disease that has affected more than 2.000 US vapers and caused 39 deaths: a vitamin E oil apparently added in cannabis refills sold on the black market.
The investigators had already pointed this oil as possible responsible for this epidemic, but are confirmed in their certainty by its discovery in 29 patients whose lung fluids were analyzed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
« These analyzes provide direct evidence that vitamin E acetate is the main cause of lung damage"Assured Anne Schuchat, Deputy Director of the CDC. Acetate is the chemical name of the molecule. She pointed out that no other potential toxin had not yet been detected in the analyzes".
Vitamin E is normally harmless. It can be bought as a swallow capsule or oil to apply to the skin, but it is harmful once inhaled or heated.
These discoveries come a few hours after the announcement by the US President Donald Trump its desire to raise the minimum age to buy e-cigarettes in the United States from 18 to 21 years. His statement is part of a broader plan to reduce youth vaping, which will be unveiled next week.